Friday, October 16, 2009

Out of Expectation!

Finally, the song composing competition has just ended yesterday. Out of my expectation, my song got 3rd place.


I don't know want to feel happy or sad. But I just feel I don't deserve it. My song is just a very normal song. Too normal even for a beginner. Is not something special. I can't find any winning point in it.

When submitting my song for preliminary round, I never expect to enter final. And when I knew it entered final, I was happy enough. Just wanted to perform it well in final and never, NEVER even think of getting any prize for this final.

There are so many other songs in final which are better than mine. I just really can't figure out why.

But anyway, this prize does not belong to me alone. Without lyrics, it wouldn't be a song. Without singer, it wouldn't be heard. Without music arrangement, it wouldn't be performed out.

And so I want to say a million thanks to Yuan Teng for writing the lyrics for me, Rachel for singing the song for me, and Stephen for arranging and playing the guitar for me.

And actually after I composed the melody, Yuan Teng modified some blunt tones of mine into more rounded melody.

And I feel that my melody is not original in a sense that I feel like I was imitating many other songs and combined the melody into one and then modified a bit, then became my own song. @@

That's why I don't deserve the prize. I need to learn more. And seriously, although I was happy getting the prize, but I feel more guilty than happy.

There's still a long way for me to go in music path...

5 comments:

hwei said...

It was a nice song laaaaaa. Most of the other songs that night were normal nie. My cousin's song also has some other songs' elements wan actually. I guess it's like that for most people when you start out. Hm. Write better song next year la then. ^_^ If nominations solely depend on the song, then I suppose the rap song would've won. But it was mediocrely sung, so it didn't. The beauty of a song lies a lot in the way it is performed also. The value of your song isn't lessened just because its performance was good k. ^_^

Sicreci said...

+Damn, wish I cud heard it, but well, music comes from the soul, if that's how u felt, then a melody it will turn into...

Stefienoki said...

[hwei] after everything finished, we went to meet the judges to get their comments for every song. then they commented for the rap song, if cant compose as good as Jay Chou, dont compose such songs... lol.. and another jugde said the rap is too follow beat... must do smtg different.. then wont feel bored.. for my song, the judges just said, it is nice to hear... T_T

Stefienoki said...

[penthius] i will send u the song thru msn... haha

hwei said...

ahahahahahaha~ (referring to the rap song)

and see, i told you your song sedap.