Sunday, May 31, 2009
I don't feel good. When I feel so, it makes me wanted to write in this diary. It's not that I want everyone to know what's happening to me. It's because I don't want to disturb my friends or family by approaching them directly and telling them my problems. So it's better off writing it down.
I have a mixed feeling. Hard to describe. But I just know I feel uneasy with this feeling. Sometimes I feel that it's better for me to leave my home country and go venture alone out there to start a new life in a new environment. At least, I would be much lighter in terms of the burden within myself that I could let go when I leave.
But it's my choice to stay here. I just can't leave like that. I have family to take care of. And they are my priority. But they are not a burden to me.
The burden I have is the past memories of mine which was full of sadness, disappointment. Although it has passed, it does not leave my mind and soul. I want to let go, but it's hard. Sometimes it just keep appearing in my mind. I guess that's a reminder for me. Not to let it repeat in my life.
This was a speech made by Pulitzer Prize-winning author, Anna Quindlen at the graduation ceremony of an American university where she was awarded an Honorary PhD.
"I'm a novelist. My work is human nature. Real life is all I know. Don't ever confuse the two, your life and your work. You will walk out of here this afternoon with only one thing that no one else has. There will be hundreds of people out there with your same degree: there will be thousands of people doing what you want to do for a living. But you will be the only person alive who has sole custody of your life. Your particular life. Your entire life. Not just your life at a desk, or your life on a bus, or in a car, or at the computer. Not just the life of your mind, but the life of your heart. Not just your bank accounts but also your soul.
People don't talk about the soul very much anymore. It's so much easier to write a resume than to craft a spirit. But a resume is cold comfort on a winter's night, or when you're sad, or broke, or lonely, or when you've received your test results and they're not so good.
Here is my resume: I am a good mother to three children. I have tried never to let my work stand in the way of being a good parent. I no longer consider myself the centre of the universe. I show up. I listen. I try to laugh. I am a good friend to my husband. I have tried to make marriage vows mean what they say. I am a good friend to my friends and they to me. Without them, there would be nothing to say to you today, because I would be a cardboard cut out. But I call them on the phone, and I meet them for lunch. I would be rotten, at best mediocre, at my job if those other things were not true.
You cannot be really first rate at your work if your work is all you are. So here's what I wanted to tell you today: Get a life. A real life, not a manic pursuit of the next promotion, the bigger pay cheque, the larger house. Do you think you'd care so very much about those things if you blew an aneurysm one afternoon, or found a lump in your breast? Get a life in which you notice the smell of salt water pushing itself on a breeze at the seaside, a life in which you stop and watch how a red-tailed hawk circles over the water, or the way a baby scowls with concentration when she tries to pick up a sweet with her thumb and first finger.
Get a life in which you are not alone. Find people you love, and who love you. And remember that love is not leisure, it is work. Pick up the phone. Send an email. Write a letter. Get a life in which you are generous. And realize that life is the best thing ever, and that you have no business taking it for granted. Care so deeply about its goodness that you want to spread it around. Take money you would have spent on beer and give it to charity. Work in a soup kitchen. Be a big brother or sister. All of you want to do well. But if you do not do good too, then doing well will never be enough.
It is so easy to waste our lives, our days, our hours, and our minutes. It is so easy to take for granted the color of our kids' eyes, the way the melody in a symphony rises and falls and disappears and rises again. It is so easy to exist instead of to live. I learned to live many years ago. I learned to love the journey, not the destination. I learned that it is not a dress rehearsal, and that today is the only guarantee you get. I learned to look at all the good in the world and try to give some of it back because I believed in it, completely and utterly. And I tried to do that, in part, by telling others what I had learned.
By telling them this: Consider the lilies of the field. Look at the fuzz on a baby's ear. Read in the back yard with the sun on your face. Learn to be happy. And think of life as a terminal illness, because if you do, you will live it with joy and passion as it ought to be lived."
Thursday, May 28, 2009
What does love mean to you? It differs for each human beings. Before you really jump to an answer for the meaning of love, let's scroll down and see what the children aged 4 to 8 years old think about love. Then, think carefully what love really is to you.
'When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend over and paint her toenails anymore. So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when his hands got arthritis too. That's love.'
'When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different. You just know that your name is safe in their mouth.'
'Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.'
'Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your French fries without making them give you any of theirs.'
'Love is what makes you smile when you're tired.'
'Love is when my mummy makes coffee for my daddy and she takes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is OK.'
'Love is when you kiss all the time. Then when you get tired of kissing, you still want to be together and you talk more. My Mummy and Daddy are like that. They look gross when they kiss'
'Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen.'
'If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who you hate,'
'Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it everyday.'
'Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well.'
'During my piano recital, I was on a stage and I was scared. I looked at all the people watching me and saw my daddy waving and smiling. He was the only one doing that. I wasn't scared anymore.'
'My mummy loves me more than anybody. You don't see anyone else kissing me to sleep at night.'
'Love is when Mummy gives Daddy the best piece of chicken.'
'Love is when Mummy sees Daddy smelly and sweaty and still says he is handsomer than Robert Redford.'
'Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day'
'I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all her old clothes and has to go out and buy new ones.'
'When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you.'
'Love is when Mummy sees Daddy on the toilet and she doesn't think it's gross.'
'You really shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget.'
And the final one comes with a little story. A four year old child whose next door neighbor was an elderly gentleman had recently lost his wife. Upon seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there. When his Mother asked what he had said to the neighbour, the little boy said, 'Nothing, I just helped him cry'.
Now, how do you feel? Personally, I think that love comprises of 4 circumstances. First, FATE. Second, FEEL. Third, CHOICE. Fourth, COMMITMENT. For the loved ones to be together, they must first have met each other, know each other and bond relationship with them. This is by fate that we know the people we know now. Even family, it is fated that to which family we are born to. Then, when you know someone, you must have different kinds of feelings toward different people. That is when you develop the feel of like or dislike, or strong affection and admiration for certain people. When you have this feel, it is the time when you make choices. To choose whether are you going to live together with them, be committed to them, sacrifice for them and love endlessly. However, choices sometimes not only depend on the individuals but also other parties. When a decision has been made, then those who made it must be responsible for it. They must be committed to the person they have chosen, to the relationship they have engaged in. Never to let that person down.
Love is simple as it seen but is hard as it applied. You may say you love that someone now, but the next day you might even turn your back on that person. This is not love. This is so called the "fake love" which mostly everyone has mistaken for it as LOVE nowadays.
Love is a powerful force. Never underestimate it. And don't play with it. When you say you love someone, MEAN IT! Don't just simply say for fun. It is very disrespect of you to those who are appreciative of the meaning of love.
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Sometimes I'd be wondering, why do I keep so many photos? I guess it might be that I could recall the nostalgic memories when I grow up later and look back at these photos. And I would also love to share my photos with others. So, with a doing-for-fun attitude, I did this slide show of my own pictures. And I think there is more coming up. Haha...
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Firstly, I would like to explain on why have I not updated my blog for more than a week. My laptop was "ill" and was sent to the "hospital" to get treatment from a "doctor" (you know...)Now, it has 'recovered' and back to healthy self. So I'm operating as usual. ^^
Last Thursday till Saturday I attended for the Yao Lan Shou Discussion Camp. It was a fun camp indeed although most of the time we were spending on discussion.^^
I've watched 2 movies so far in this month: Angels & Demons and Night At the Museum 2.
They are fantastic! For those who haven't watch, consider these 2 movies. I'm sure you won't regret it.^^
Life is just so simple! Live it! Enjoy it! Rejoice for it! ^^
Saturday, May 16, 2009
1. Every person has cancer cells in the body. These cancer cells do not show up in the standard tests until they have multiplied to a few billion. When doctors tell cancer patients that there are no more cancer cells in their bodies after treatment, it just means the tests are unable to detect the cancer cells because they have not reached the detectable size.
2. Cancer cells occur between 6 to more than 10 times in a person's lifetime.
3. When the person's immune system is strong, the cancer cells will be destroyed and prevented from multiplying andforming tumours.
4. When a person has cancer it indicates the person has multiple nutritional deficiencies. These could be due to genetic, environmental, food and lifestyle factors.
5. To overcome the multiple nutritional deficiencies, changing diet and including supplements will strengthen the immune system.
6. Chemotherapy involves poisoning the rapidly-growing cancer cells and also destroys rapidly-growing healthy cells in the bone marrow, gastro-intestinal tract etc, and can cause organ damage, like liver, kidneys, heart, lungs etc.
7. Radiation while destroying cancer cells also burns, scars and damages healthy cells, tissues and organs.
8. Initial treatment with chemotherapy and radiation will often reduce tumor size. However prolonged use of chemotherapy and radiation do not result in more tumor destruction.
9. When the body has too much toxic burden from chemotherapy and radiation the immune system is either compromised or destroyed, hence the person can succumb to various kinds of infections and complications.
10. Chemotherapy and radiation can cause cancer cells to mutate and become resistant and difficult to destroy. Surgery can also cause cancer cells to spread to other sites.
11. An effective way to battle cancer is to starve the cancer cells by not feeding it with the foods it needs to multiply.
WHAT CANCER CELLS FEED ON:
a. Sugar is a cancer-feeder. By cutting off sugar it cuts off one important food supply to the cancer cells. Sugar substitutes like NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc are made with Aspartame and it is harmful. A better natural substitute would be Manuka honey or molasses but only in very small amounts. Table salt has a chemical added to make it white in colour. Better alternative is Bragg's aminos or sea salt.
b. Milk causes the body to produce mucus, especially in the gastro-intestinal tract. Cancer feeds on mucus. By cutting off milk and substituting with unsweetened soy milk, cancer cells are being starved.
c. Cancer cells thrive in an acid environment. A meat-based diet is acidic and it is best to eat fish, and a little chicken rather than beef or pork. Meat also contains livestock antibiotics, growth hormones and parasites, which are all harmful, especially to people with cancer.
d. A diet made of 80% fresh vegetables and juice, whole grains, seeds, nuts and a little fruits help put the body into an alkaline environment. About 20% can be from cooked food including beans. Fresh vegetable juices provide live enzymes that are easily absorbed and reach down to cellular levels within 15 minutes to no urish and enhance growth of healthy cells. To obtain live enzymes for building healthy cells try and drink fresh vegetable juice (most vegetables including bean sprouts) and eat some raw vegetables 2 or 3 times a day. Enzymes are destroyed at temperatures of 104 degrees F (40 degrees C).
e. Avoid coffee, tea, and chocolate, which have high caffeine. Green tea is a better alternative and has cancer-fighting properties. Water-best to drink purified water, or filtered, to avoid known toxins and heavy metals in tap water. Distilled water is acidic, avoid it.
12. Meat protein is difficult to digest and requires a lot of digestive enzymes. Undigested meat remaining in the intestines become putrified and leads to more toxic buildup.
13. Cancer cell walls have a tough protein covering. By refraining from or eating less meat it frees more enzymes to attack the protein walls of cancer cells and allows the body's killer cells to destroy the cancer cells.
14. Some supplements build up the immune system (IP6, Flor-ssence, Essiac, anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, EFAs etc.) to enable the body's own killer cells to destroy cancer cells. Other supplements like vitamin E are known to cause apoptosis, or programmed cell death, the body's normal method of disposing of damaged, unwanted, or unneeded cells.
15. Cancer is a disease of the mind, body, and spirit. A proactive and positive spirit will help the cancer warrior be a survivor. Anger, unforgiveness and bitterness put the body into a stressful and acidic environment. Learn to have a loving and forgiving spirit. Learn to relax and enjoy life.
16. Cancer cells cannot thrive in an oxygenated environment. Exercising daily, and deep breathing help to get more oxygen down to the cellular level. Oxygen therapy is another means employed to destroy cancer cells.
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
About 30 years ago, a Mr. Zhang who worked in the Public Sales Department of a Taipei Brewery, sat for Overseas Study Selection Examination, and passed with flying colours. Before leaving, unfortunately, the medical examination at a public hospital discovered that he had a tumour growth in his lung about the size of a child's fist. Thus, he was not able to make the overseas trip for further study.
Mr. Zhang was very disappointed. He had the feeling that the diagnosis could be wrong. So he went for a 2nd check-up in another hospital but the result confirmed that there was no error in the previous diagnosis. The young Mr. Zhang was in great despair after the confirmation. He made several calls to Mr. Wei, his old classmate who was the Mayor's secretary of Huangsun County, Taidong County Government.
On hearing the sad news, Mr. Wei rushed to Taipei to see Mr. Zhang on Sunday. Mr. Zhang briefed Mr. Wei in detail about his despair and pessimism, and entrusted his friend regarding his affairs after his death. It happened that Mr. Wei was a good friend of Dr Lu Geling, who in 1949-55 was in charge of the Maijie Hospital, and was a researcher and specialist in cancer.
He suggested to Mr. Zhang to seek Dr Lu's treatment immediately. Mr. Zhang initially refused to consult doctor anymore as the result might add further misery to him. But Mr. Wei said that he had called Dr Lu and made an appointment with him. So Mr. Zhang felt obligated and went with Mr. Wei to meet Dr Lu.
When meeting Mr. Zhang, Dr Lu said: " Mr. Wei is my best friend and he has introduced you to me. We are fated to know each other. Let me ask you do you know why is that cancer is referred to as terminal illness?"
Dr Lu explained: " There are only 2 approaches so far to treat cancer today. The 1st is to destroy the source of the disease. The 2nd is to increase the immunity to fight the disease. But the strange thing is that, whether we use Cobalt 60 or other drugs to destroy the cancerous cells, before they are killed, the good cells are destroyed first. On the other hand, no matter what nutrients or supplements we use, before the good cells have a chance to absorb them, the cancer cells have taken them up. This simply speeds up the growth of cancer. Therefore, both approaches are doomed to fail, that is why cancer is terminal."
Dr Lu continues: "Human beings are the most intelligent creatures and they had successfully put men on the moon. But why there is no one ever questioned the above 2 approaches for cancer treatment which lead to ultimate death, and try to look for a 3rd approach? When I was conducting clinical research in Majie Hospital, I had many opportunities to work with many colleagues who had assisted me in the hospital. I found out that the blood tests of cancer patients showed 100% acidic results.
Those Buddhist monks and nuns who are long term vegetarians and live very close to Nature, their blood are prevalently weakly alkaline and none of them has yet been detected of any cancer illness. Therefore, I can boldly concluded that under weakly alkaline condition, cancerous cells are not able to grow, or even to survive.
Mr. Zhang, I would suggest that starting from now you must reduce your intake of the acidic meaty dishes. Consume more alkaline food. Also you can take green algae and soup made from water chestnuts with skin. Modify your physical condition, and try seriously to have a regular life style which is close to Nature... If you live for another 5 years, you should have no further problem. Best of luck."
Mr. Zhang followed Dr Lu's suggestion and was serious in changing his eating habits. Every day, he ate green algae, drank chestnut soup, became optimistic and did an appropriate amount of exercise. One year later, he went back to the same public hospital for a check up. It was found that the tumour not only did not increase in size, but was also skrinking. It's a miracle to the hospital staff who examined him. Five years later, the tumour had shrunk to almost disappearing stage. Now after almost 40 years, Mr. Zhang's health is totally normal, and is living a very pleasant life.
After Mr. Zhang's case, a Mr. Chen Tianshou, who was previously Head of the General Administration of the Taidong Provincial Hospital, was also diagnosed with lung cancer... When Mr. Wei knew about it, he told Mr. Chen what Mr. Zhang had gone through. Mr. Chen started to follow Dr Lu's recommendation of changing his physical condition. Just like the case of Mr. Zhang, he was able to recover fully from the cancer.
At that time, Dr. Lu and his family had migrated to the United States. When he returned to Taiwan and met up with Mr. Wei, he was told of the 2 cases of Mr. Zhang and Mr. Chen. Mr. Wei suggested that let both of them make detailed briefings in person, so that Dr. Lu could publish a report on this self-curing method.
Dr Lu very humbly replied: 'I am too old and I do not have any clinical records of the cases. Please tell your friends and relatives, if they agree, please continue and spread the words to others".
One should take care of oneself and also should be caring about others. 85% of cancer patients are having acidic condition in their physical bodies.
Blood of healthy persons is weakly alkaline in nature, with a pH of about 7.35 to 7.45.
Babies' blood is also weakly alkaline.
As adults age, their bloods become more acidic in nature.
According to a study of body fluid of 600 cancer patients, 85% of the patients are in acidic physical condition.
Therefore, how to maintain the weakly alkaline nature of our body is the 1st step from keeping oneself from illness.
Acidic physical condition manifests itself in following ways:
1. Skin without luster.
2. Athlete's foot.
3. Feeling tired even after a little exercise, and feeling sleepy the moment one gets into a bus.
4. Easily out of breathe after going up and down the stairs.
5. Fat and with lower stomach protruding,
6. Move slowly and movement lethargic.
Why does the body physical condition turn acidic?
1. Excessive intake of dairy acidic food.
a) Meats, dairy products, eggs, beef, ham, etc are acidic food
b) Taking too much acidic food will cause the blood to become acidic and viscous, difficult to flow to the end of blood vessels, leading to cold feet or knee, stiff shoulders and insomnia.
c) For those who are young and strong, it's alright to consume suitable quantity of meats, but for older people, vegetables or small fishes are the more suitable diet.
2. Any irregularity in the pace of life will cause the body physical condition to become acidic.
a) Irregular pace in life will lead to mental and physical stress
b) According to statistics, people who sleep late are more likely to have cancer than normal persons, by as much as 5 times.
c) Human beings originally lead a life with regular tempo in this world. It's not possible to store up sleep or food and not possible to live a healthy life by mixing up days and nights.
d) Human organs are controlled by the autonomic nerves. During day time it is mainly sympathetic nerves activities, and at night it is mainly the parasympathetic nerves which are functioning. If this order is disturbed and reversed, then will encounter all sorts of sicklnesses.
3. Over tensed becoming emotional.
a) Social stresses in view of civilized society.
b) Job related or mental stresses.
c) For a person suffering mental stress, a temporary release of stress may lead to death. This is known as the syndrome of imperfect adrenal cortex function.
4. Physical Stress.
a) Before any operation it would be necessary to check whether the renal cortex does function normally. If the adrenal cortex is lacking, or if the stress imposed by the operation exceeded the ability of adrenal cortex to cope, it could lead to death or other adverse impacts.
b) If the patient's face is puffy, it would be necessary to ask for the detailed patient's medical history and medication status. For patients taking adrenal cortical hormone, extra care should be exercised when acupuncture treatment is given.
c) Avoid stress due to physical labour or excessive exercise, or playing card games and driving through out the night etc.
Appendix: Acidity/alkalinity of Common food stuff
1. Strongly acidic food: egg yolk, cheese, cake baked with white sugar or persimmon, mullet fish roe, dried cod, etc.
2. Mildly acidic food: ham, bacon, chicken meat, squid, pork, eel, beef, bread, wheat, butter, horse meat.
3. Weakly acidic food: white rice, peanut, beer, alcohol, fried tofu, sea weeds, clam, octopus, catfish, etc.
4. Weakly alkaline food: red bean, radish, apple, cabbage, onion, tofu etc.
5. Mildly alkaline food: dried radish, soya bean, carrot, tomato, banana, orange, pumpkin, strawberry, egg white, dried plum, lemon, spinach, etc.
6. Strongly alkaline food: grape, tea leave, wine, kelp sprout, kelp, etc. Especially natural green algae which contain rich quantity of chlorophyl are very good alkaline health food, but avoid drinking tea in excess, and it's best to drink in the mornings
Monday, May 4, 2009
1. Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.
2. Marry a man/woman you love to talk to. As you get older, their conversational skills will be as important as any other.
3. Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have or sleep all you want.
4. When you say, 'I love you,' mean it.
5. When you say, 'I'm sorry,' look at the person in the eye.
6. Believe in love at first sight.
7. Never laugh at anyone's dreams. People who don't have dreams don't have much.
8. Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt but it's the only way to live life completely.
9. In disagreements, fight fairly. No name calling.
10. Don't judge people by their relatives.
11. Talk slowly but think quickly.
12. When someone asks you a question you don't want to answer, smile and ask, 'Why do you want to know?'
13. Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
14. When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
15. Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others; and Responsibility for all your actions.
16. Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
17. When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
18. Smile when picking up the phone. The caller will hear it in your voice.
19. Spend some time alone.
20. A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.
I'm back home!!! This time I have about 2 months holiday. I'm supposed to be feeling happy.
But... I feel so neutral... Neither happy nor sad...
Is it because I have nothing to do???
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Finally... Finished my exam 2 days ago... Phew....!
Straight away went out with my room mates after my last paper.
Had a steamboat in our room that night.
And we chatted the whole night till the next morning... non-stop, no sleep...
Feel so great...
But feel sad too... Coz we are leaving our hostel room soon... The room which is filled with memories... The room that tied us together... C304.
It's a wonderful thing to be put in this room and met my room mates. They are fabulous!!
Hope the coming years I can still get to stay with them. ^^