Sunday, July 11, 2010

NUS Convocation

I attended my brother's graduation ceremony in NUS last Wednesday. When I first stepped into NUS territory, I was impressed with the buildings there. They look so new. My brother told me they renovate every year. *No wonder their fees is so expensive* @@

Every graduand was only allowed to bring 2 family members into the hall. However, my brother requested for extra seats and managed to get 3 more invitations. So I got to enter the hall to watch the whole graduation ceremony process.

The Invitation Card

My brother - Wearing the tie I bought for him as birthday present ^^

Do we look alike?

At 9.40am we entered the hall. The ceremony started sharp at 10.00am. Needless to say, it was a very formal procedure and after a while, I became bored and sleepy too! Luckily, the whole ceremony only took about 1 hour and 45 minutes because that session was only meant for graduands of Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering.


A few professional photographers were there to snap those glory moments of the graduands. And I was attracted to one of them. He is a middle aged man. I guess should be around 30-40 years old. He is quite charming and he looks "yao yeng" (cool) when he was holding his camera to snap photos. He reminds me of my MUET teacher, Mr Peter Suan. If you studied in MHS before, you should know who is him. Haha... Mr Peter Suan is already more than 50 years old. But he is the most stylish man in the school! With a great sense of humour and fit body, he doesn't lose to any young man!


The man on the left in the above picture is the one I mentioned previously. I didn't get to take the picture of his face so this is the only one I got. Don't get me wrong thinking that I like old man. -_-"' I just admire him for his professionalism and the charm he has just like how I admire my MUET teacher who is even more stylish than me!

Finally!

At the end of the ceremony, we were being surprised by a loud "pop" sound followed by many balloons dropping down from the ceiling of the hall. I think it was the nicest part of all throughout the whole ceremony. It was beautiful.



In comparison to UM convocation, I still prefer UM because it is more happening. In NUS, you can't see anyone who would lift up the graduands to throw them high above but in UM we have. What is graduation without those feeling of excitement when being thrown high above or throwing your graduations hats high up? I could hardly see any juniors coming to send their seniors off either. This scenario is a total opposite to UM. When convocation is near, we would have many booths selling variety of stuff. And the juniors from everywhere, be it the faculties, the hostels or the clubs and societies, would prepare banners and gifts and sometimes even cheers to congratulate their seniors and send them off!

It is so much merrier in UM compared to NUS. This is the biggest difference between Malaysians and Singaporeans too! Although we, Malaysians may not be as effective and efficient as Singaporeans, but we have a better social relationship between people. We value the virtues; cherish our friends and family; and we are a lot more compassionate compared to them. My brother always told me the people in Malaysia are more like people. Now I understand why... because we have 人情味.

Happy Graduation! ^^

No comments: